Job descriptionGeneral Summary: This position is eligible for remote flexibility. Details will be discussed during the interview process.
COVID-19: Vaccination Requirement : One of the essential functions of this position is the ability to work on-site at one or more of Alston & Bird’s offices. Effective August 30, 2021, Alston & Bird requires all employees who access our offices to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. By submitting your resume for consideration, you acknowledge that you will comply with A&B’s vaccination and office access policies. Any questions about A&B’s vaccination requirement should be directed to Trevor Barker, Talent Acquisition Coordinator ([email protected]).
At Alston & Bird, our people trust the people they work for, take pride in what they do, enjoy the people they work with, and serve the communities in which they live. Our environment has been praised as one of the most open and receptive in the United States, not only among law firms, but also among all businesses. Alston & Bird has been ranked by Fortune magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For©" for 23 years in a row.
Professional position that provides both legal and non-legal research and reference assistance to all attorneys and staff to support client’s and Firm projects. Firm projects include, but are not limited to, marketing research, seminar development, pro-bono work, preparation of published material, and professional development.
- Conducts legal, regulatory, legislative, business, and other research and reference work, including sophisticated, in-depth research and analysis utilizing legal and non-legal information resources, including the firm’s document management system
- Creates and maintains watches and alerts for new litigation, dockets, current awareness, and matter specific projects
- Conducts effective reference interviews and packages research results into succinct reports
- Evaluates diverse information sources for currency, reliability, relevance, and cost-effectiveness and selects the optimal resources for research requests
- Assists in the instruction of attorneys, legal assistants, and others in the use of legal research tools, and services
- Participates in collection development and the ongoing evaluation of online resources and makes recommendations for purchase or renewal, as directed
- Contributes to the content and distribution of monthly department newsletter
- Maintains research proficiency across a wide spectrum of business, legal, legislative, analytics and docket resources including, but not limited to, Lexis, Westlaw, Pacer, WK VitalLaw, Lex Machina, and Monitor Suite
- Able to effectively utilize data analytics resources to define analytical queries, compile data sets, and interpret findings to present results in an accessible way
- Effectively utilizes workflow software to track and process research requests
- Undertakes special assignments from department leadership and supports the Corporate and CI teams, as needed
- Employs innovative thinking and an inclination to learn new products, tools, and services
- Promotes library public relations by maintaining a dialogue with attorneys and staff at all levels of the organization and supporting a collegial, cooperative, and diverse working environment, as well as, actively liaising and communicate with selected practice and industry groups to develop subject expertise and facilitate better and more proactive service delivery
- Maintains ongoing professional development through review of legal and library publications, attending professional association seminars and meetings, receiving regular training from vendors
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with strong working knowledge of Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in using library catalogs
- Proficiency in operating applications for maintaining communications while working remote such as Zoom and MS Teams
- Responsiveness and demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize competing deadlines
- Client service orientation combined with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work in a collaborative, service-oriented team, yet also independently with minimal supervision
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Master of Library Science, J.D., or significant professional research experience
- Minimum of three years’ experience providing research in a private law firm, academic law library or special library
- Experience with legal and business information resources, online database searching, and business research and legal research practices
- Repetitive motions‑substantial movements of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Crouching, kneeling, standing, climbing, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and lifting
- Talking‑expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word
- Ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately
- Hearing‑ability to receive detailed information through oral communication
- Sitting most of the time
Alston & Bird LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer does not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in relation to our recruiting, hiring, and promoting practices.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us at [email protected]
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position.
Alston & Bird is not currently accepting resumes from agencies for this position. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Alston & Bird hires the candidate.