This position is responsible for the financial life cycle of major City capital projects. The Senior Capital Project Accountant will have oversight of projects from initiation to close-out, will track all capital project dollars through the City’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system or other systems(s), and ensure timely and accurate reporting. This position is directly responsible for the creation, documentation, and maintenance of project accounting policies and procedures, as well as training affected staff in how to implement the policies and procedures This position is part of the Clerk/Treasurer Office, however works in partnership with and support of all departments’ staff responsible for capital project accounting.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
Responsible for coordination of project management activities across the organization
- Collaborate with the designated department project management contacts across departments regarding all financial issues related to major City projects.
- Work as a liaison with the designated department contacts to understand and develop project budgets (revenues and expenses), enter agreed upon project budgets into the ERP system, and regularly update project activity.
- Ensure that all individual projects are maintained in the general ledger; life-to-date revenue and expenditures reports are prepared; determine if costs are project eligible; determine unspent bond proceeds by project is maintained in the general ledger (GL).
- Ensure appropriate management and tracking of projects across fiscal years.
- Review project set-up done by department, as well as implementation and follow-through with project accounting.
- Responsible to track Tax-Increment Financing District (TIF) projects, including maintaining debt and cash flow models.
- Support annual TIF reporting and audit activities.
Develop and perform regular financial reporting
- Develop, design, and provide financial and budget related information and tools, including budgetary reviews, prepare budget vs. actual statements and reports as needed.
- Work with project managers to track funding agency reporting requirements for borrowing, grants, contracts and special programs and to ensure accuracy of reporting.
Develop, maintain and implement policies and procedures
- Ensure definition and maintenance of an appropriate structure for the setting up and managing projects within the City's financial system.
- Evaluate issues, identify concerns, and recommend solutions to City leadership to ensure that all project accounting issues are addressed and resolved in a timely fashion.
- Work closely with project accounting and project management staff across departments to assess and recommend ways to continuously improve policies, procedures, and technologies.
- Train staff (new and existing) on project accounting policies and practices, as well as the effective use of the ERP.
Manage and implement accounting processes
- Collaborate with other Accounting and Finance staff to ensure adherence to miscellaneous billing and collections policies and procedures for projects.
- Reconcile project revenues & miscellaneous billing records with General Ledger and prepare month end reports for C/T office and review results with departments. Report to management the opportunities for additional billing, remaining funding, and accounts receivable status.
- Maintain project financial records until completion and close out.
- Responsible for proper closing of capital projects in the General Ledger once completed.
- Work with departments to maintain capital accounts receivable, reconcile from Sub Ledger to General Ledger, review discrepancies; responsible to follow-up with appropriate departmental contact(s) on outstanding receivables to ensure collection on timely basis.
- Responsible for determining Capital Project fixed assets; classification of assets, maintaining records of additions and ensuring entry in the general ledger using Sage our fixed asset software system.
- Where requested, assist with monitoring and verifying grant changes, budget status, expense billing and accounts receivable; notify departments of potential issues..
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and five (5) years of capital project accounting experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting principles and practices strongly preferred.
- Experience with account reconciliation.
- Demonstrated project management skills. Experience with infrastructure and/or construction projects preferred.
- Experience in project billing and reconciliation.
- Strong collaborative skills and a commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Proficiency in business applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience with financial accounting software required, New World experience a plus.
- Ability to work well under pressure and appropriately deal with stress.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with peers and management within and across departments.
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines while working with minimal supervision.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with co-workers.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or [email protected]
The City of Burlington is proud to offer full time employees a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
Medical/Dental Insurance Coverage
Prescription Drug Coverage
Flexible Spending Programs
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
Contributory Retirement Plan
Employee Assistance Program
Discounted Gym Memberships
Education benefits through Champlain College
Employee Assistance Program
Wellness Bonus Program
Local Resort Discounts
Subsidized Transportation Options
For additional details please visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR
Location: 149 Church Street,Burlington,VT, Burlington, VT 05401
Job Type: Full-time