Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Senior Accessibility Specialist position will support the Senior Manager in the Accessibility Office in leading initiatives and advancing Amtrak’s accessibility program to ensure accessibility and inclusion for people with disabilities within Amtrak’s services, programs, and policies with a focus on improving the customer experience. As the Senior Accessibility Specialist, you will demonstrate a strong commitment and passion for accessibility and disability inclusion and strive to understand the full customer experience of Amtrak’s passengers with disabilities from the moment they visit Amtrak’s website until they arrive at their destination; and engage in communications and share their trip feedback.
You will track and monitor customer feedback and work with other departments (Stations, Onboard Services, eCommerce, Training, Customer Relations, etc.) to identify opportunities for improvement, conduct outreach, and propose any modifications to ensure compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as help implement best practices throughout the organization and in collaboration with other departments and programs.
- Liaise between the Customer Relations team, passengers with disabilities, and Amtrak personnel to identify opportunities for improvement and proactive solutions.
- Work in collaboration with other departments to survey customers and develop pre-trip and post-trip emails collecting feedback on passenger accessibility.
- Monitor and analyze feedback of services and programs to identify emerging trends and other factors that may contribute to accessibility gaps.
- Propose recommendations for modifications of policies and procedures based on effective communication and knowledge of accessibility laws.
- Meet with eCommerce and IT teams to advance mobile and technology application; ensuring all applications are tested and meet accessibility requirements.
- Apply understanding of assistive technology and accommodation requests to determine the needs of passengers with disabilities and relay their experiences to the appropriate departments.
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in providing customer service, preferably in the accessibility and disability fields
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Strong advocacy skills, including, but not limited to experience working with and on behalf of people with disabilities to ensure access and inclusion and experience presenting to senior management.
- Strong focus on collaboration, teamwork, and customer service; effectiveness working diplomatically across teams with varying objectives and priorities.
- Be an excellent problem-solver, self-starter, and learner willing to continue gaining knowledge in the accessibility and transportation fields.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, MS Project), MS SharePoint
- Demonstrate a foundation for web and electronic accessibility of websites, mobile technology, and electronic documents
- Must have work authorization in the United States.
- Knowledge and application of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and guidelines pertaining to electronic accessibility of documents.
- Leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate others; effective writing, presentation, meeting and facilitation skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution and investigation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in effective communication skills communicating within the corporation and externally.
- Demonstrated experience simultaneously managing multiple projects and/or programs using appropriate administrative tools and controls.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in providing customer service, preferably in the accessibility and disability fields
- Graduate degree in a related field
- Extensive experience in the accessibility and disability fields
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among internal and external stakeholders with diverse interests, including stakeholders in both public and private sectors.
- Transportation industry experience is a plus.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills..
- Comfortable working in a time-sensitive environment with at times changing priorities, tasks, and deadlines. Frequently manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Frequently resolves issues with conflicting priorities in time-sensitive situations.
- Constantly, or frequently, uses a computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, or assistive technology and other related electronic equipment and software to perform a variety of tasks.
- Ability to work in an office building environment, as well as a remote location with access to wireless internet and phone while outside of the office or traveling on business.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Job Family/Function:Research & Strategy
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Research & Strategy || Corporate Jobs